“The Sound of Jazz Drumming” is a drum book is tailored for students of Jazz drumming.
The aim of this book is to encourage and inspire other drummers to dig deeper into what they are playing or exploring at any moment during their practise sessions.
The book provides 100 examples, based on 10 Jazz standards, about how to be creative with melodic phrases – such as the two-bar opening melodic phrase of “I’ll Be Seeing You” .
Subjects covered in the book:
- Technical exercises for intermediate to advanced level, including single stroke and double strokes and combinations of these.
- Illustrations of detailed explanation of how to develop the Push-Pull technique with specific exercises.
- Triplet sticking patterns (exclusive paradiddle variations, with emphasis on phrasing) to develop fluidity and control.
- Coordination patterns and specific practise method to develop fluidity within straight 8’s with emphasis on the ECM drum sound made famous by Jon Christensen.
- Templates to incentivise the reader to create their own patterns and exercises.
- Exercises to develop setups when playing in larger ensembles e.g. Big Band.
- Two phenomenal solo transcriptions by Jeff “Tain” Watts, and Frankie Dunlop – with info on how to take things to the next level including examples of how to develop your own vocabulary for your drum solos.
- Exploration and application of quintuplets and septuplets in the context of the Swing/triplet feel.
- Comes with downloadable Mp3 files recorded by the author of selected examples in the book.
- … and a full page of recommended listening.
Sophisticated technical exercises along with illustrations of the grip and ‘push-pull’ technique that enables players to facilitate clean and strong double strokes.
A total of 100 examples of creative suggestions to be creative with a two bar melodic phrase.
Exercises to strengthen coordination within the straight 8’s feel and much more ….
“Daniel has concisely synthesized technical aspects of drumming with musicality and improvisation. If this were the only drum book on the market, there’s enough guidance here to help any serious student advance significantly. And the inspired inclusion of a transcription of master soloist Frankie Dunlop is a great bonus. Highly recommended.”
– Jeff Williams (Professor at Royal Academy of Music in London, student of Alan Dawson and worked with Paul Bley, Dave Liebman, Milt Hinton, Joe Farrell, Richie Beirach, Michel Petrucciani, Randy Brecker, John Scofield, Stan Getz, Joe Lovano et al.)
Max Roach Solo book
This inspiring book consists of 40 pages of famous Max Roach solos. Order online via the link below.
Limited amount available! Visit www.maxroachsolos.com
“Daniel Israelsen’s transcription book on Max Roach is a must have for every Drummer. Great notation combined with great stickings gives you a tool not to miss as a student of being the next Drummer in demand!”
– Anders Mogensen (Tim Berne, Jerry Bergonzi, Marc Johnson, Steve Swallow, Bob Berg, Michael Formanek, et al., associate Professor at Carl Nielsen Academy of Music, Odense, Denmark)
Here is a list of the 15 transcribed drum solos included in the book:
The Scene is Clean
Just One of Those Things
I Get A Kick Out of You
I Get A Kick Out of You (Alternate Take)
I’ll Remember April (Take 3)
Flossie Lou (Alternate take 2)
Flossie Lou (Alternate take 1)
Love Is A Many Splendored Thing.
The book has been reviewed and recommended by renown Jazz drummers Anders Mogensen, Ralph Salmins, Trevor Tomkins and Michael Skinner.